Trading Standards Officer
Akton has an opening for a Trading Standards Officer
* The post holder will be authorised to make regulatory decisions on a range of enforcement actions available to them. These will be commensurate with their level of competency and overseen by the Trading Standards and PoCA Manager as appropriate.
* To exercise professional judgement, interpersonal and communication skills in the application and evaluation of enforcement interventions and decisions and in the interpretation of the relevant legislation while having due regard to current associated guidance and protocols relevant to their work.
* To communicate effectively in the exchange of oral and written information in what can be complex and sometimes contentious situations in a way that meets the needs of a diverse audience yet also effectively influences behaviours in a positive manner.
* To manage a caseload (which can be a mixture of risk-based inspections, special project visits, consumer complaints, criminal and civil investigations, partnership working and the delivery of business advice) within the terms of current policies and procedures.
* To manage a caseload which can encompass the complete range of Trading Standards legislation, and involving, though not exclusively or exhaustively:
a) The assessment and prioritisation of complaints and service requests coming into the Service
b) The investigation of complaints and service requests that fit within current criteria
c) Management of product withdrawals and recalls
d) Investigation of rogue traders and scams
e) Providing appropriate support to victims of crime and making referrals to other agencies where appropriate
* Provide trading standards advice to consumers and businesses in line with legislation and case law.
* To apply professional and technical skill to the investigation and management of potential criminal offences or civil breaches, including:
a) The collection of all necessary evidence for potential legal proceedings including witness statements, conducting inspections using powers available and conducting PACE interviews
b) Appropriate management of victims and witnesses, including vulnerable witnesses
c) Preparation of high quality and comprehensive infringement reports containing all necessary evidence with appropriate recommendations
d) Liaison with the Council's Legal Services
e) Consideration of POCA implications
f) Attendance at court and giving evidence as necessary
g) Production and dissemination of intelligence reports where appropriate
Up to £34.44 per hour
about 1 month ago
Trading Standards Officer