Akton Recruitment are seeking a HSQE Manager on behalf of our client who has been established for just over 10 years. During this time, they have created a fantastic reputation for themselves and are looking to expand their team to meet high demands.
Our client is a triple ISO accredited company which offers clients an extensive range of services in the construction industry, including Civil Engineering, Plant Hire, Labour Supply and Groundworks.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The role of HSQE advisor is not a role for simply an advisor. Our client needs a "doer" who will get involved and put things into place. They need a delegator and an educator that will educate the whole team on the importance of health and safety and ensure that people are doing their job to the best of their ability.
- Maintaining the various Management Systems currently in use within the Company - including ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001
- Carry out risk assessments and consider how risks could be reduced
- Regular comprehensive HS&E inspections of all workplaces necessary to ensure the companies Health & Safety Policy is being adhered to. Prepare reports for management and project staff
- Keep up to date with current/new legislation
- Educate and encourage team members and site managers to carry out weekly site inspections
- Keep accurate records of inspection findings and produce reports
- Produce and compile data relating to accidents, near misses & HSE intervention to allow lessons to be learned, and communicate findings to Directors & senior staff
- Develop a strategy for the HSQE department
- Have "fresh ideas" and communicate them to allow the team to engage with Health and safety issues
- Delivering cost effective and innovative Health, Safety, Environmental & Quality solutions
for Civils, utilities and construction projects throughout the rail, highways, commercial and education sectors
- Production & review of policies and procedures, including Company Health & Safety Policy and implement them to the handbook, notice boards, sites etc….
- Production of suitable & sufficient safe systems of work for all activities
- Involvement with industry safety programmes / initiatives
- Develop and improve HS&E standards on all projects
- Maintenance of third party Health & Safety Accreditations including Constructionline, CHAS, UVDB, RISQS, Builders Profile, Ciras, ISO9001, ISO1400 and OHSAS18001
- Attainment of additional third-party Health & Safety Accreditations as required
- Strike up a good rapport with the client, make it your aim to go and meet the right people and implement regular meetings and ask to carry out inspections together and accompany them on their inspections.
- Preparation of PQQs and attendance at Client meetings as required for the purpose of
- Supporting the Directors in the management of HS&E within the Company
- Providing competent health & safety advice and education to Directors and workforce
- Overall Management of SHEQ systems, including internal audits and compliance against
OHSAS 18001, ISO9001 & ISO14001
- Advise and assist in the preparation of company health & safety procedures/project safety
plans/ method statements and ensure that reviews and updates are carried out as required.
- Initiate and maintain measures to improve the company's safety recording and communication, e.g. Health & Safety alerts and bulletins
- Short duration training including HS&E inductions and briefings
- Carry out inductions on site and in the office
- Monitor, maintain and ensure the adequate training needs of the workforce are met. Company training matrix to be monitored and audited as per the procedure. Carry out formal training reviews on an annual basis or project requirement changes, whichever is sooner.
- Monitoring and review of training needs throughout the organisation
- Generate the company's environmental aims and measure and record KPIs such as emissions and waste disposal
- Liaise with enforcement authorities (HSE, Environmental Agencies etc,
Academic Qualifications Required:
- Chartered Member of IOSH (CMIOSH) desirable
- NEBOSH General/Member of IOSH
Selection of construction related Health & Safety courses, e.g.
Safety in excavations
Street works Supervisor
Work at Height
Manual Handling Awareness
- Able to work comfortably in a demanding, high pressure environment
- Ability to analyse potentially complex and difficult situations and recommend appropriate, practical, and responsive solutions in a sensitive manner
- High standard of presentation skills
- Ability to communicate HSQE information efficiently and effectively at all levels
- Experience of managing health and safety at a senior/middle management level
- Civil Engineering experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Management and administration skills, computer literacy
- Rail experience
- Environmental Qualification
- Internal auditing
- Management system knowledge to ISO standards