Senior Structural Engineer
We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Bridge Engineer in our Bridge Team based in our North Tyneside Office. We are ideally seeking a recently Chartered Engineer, or an engineer nearing Chartered Status with a wide range and significant structural engineering experience, bridge design, replacement, strengthening, assessment and inspection experience of all aspects of highway structures who wishes to advance their career by taking on more responsibility in the delivery of projects. Marine and quayside design and construction experience would also be advantageous. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute towards the design, management and maintenance of bridges and highway structures and to provide structural design advice to our clients. From your design experience, you will be able to provide informed technical assistance to other team members and review the quality of their work. Candidates with either less or more experience will be considered depending on the quality and relevance of that experience.
- Undertaking scheme feasibility studies, preliminary and detailed design, preparation of tender documents, works/construction inspection and supervision
- Acting as Senior Engineer on work undertaken by the team ensuring quality, timely delivery and customer satisfaction are at the forefront.
- Working with Project Manager to manage the resources within the team to ensure successful project delivery
- Mentoring and providing guidance to less experienced Engineers, Graduate Engineers and Technicians to ensure project delivery
- Delivering small to medium projects and taking an active role as part of a delivery team on larger complex projects
- Detailed knowledge of relevant standards and contracts including DMRB, British Standards, Eurocodes, MCHW and NEC Contract
- Experience in the inspection, assessment, design and construction of highway structures
- Ensuring designs are carried out in accordance with current design standards considering the CDM Regulations 2015, whole life costing, value and risk management
- Interfacing with other Capita engineering disciplines such as geotechnical, environmental and highway engineers.
- Preparation of bridge-related structural scheme designs at feasibility, optioneering and detailed design stages, both for new build and modification to existing structures
- You will be responsible for resolving technical and construction-related issues as they occur and for the monitoring of progress of your areas of responsibility
- Preparation of technical approval documentation, contract documents and fee estimates.
- Organising and carrying out General, Principal & Special Inspections and preparation of inspection reports
- Regular reporting of programme/budget performance to line management
- Leading by example on the management of risk, health & safety, environmental and quality assurance
- Assist in the growth and development of the business both externally and internally by building and maintaining strong working relationships with clients.
- Assist in the management, development and mentoring of staff within the team to achieve high levels of performance and ensuring personal professional development targets are met.
- MEng Civil Engineering
- You must be Chartered Engineer or near Chartered Status (MICE or MIStructE) with min 6 years Post-Graduate Experience
- 4 year's relevant experience in the design of bridges, structures, retaining walls buildings and highway projects. Assessing both concrete and steel bridges
- Experience in programme management, project management and the implementation of quality control procedures
- Good knowledge of structural mechanics and fundamental engineering principles
- Good working knowledge of design using DMRB and Eurocodes
- Detailed understanding of the design process and interfacing with multiple disciplines
- Experienced in the use of bridge design software packages such as STAAD, Autodesk, MIDAS, SuperSTRESS etc
- Proficient with use of AutoCAD
- Preparation of outline drawings and detailed sketches of engineering solutions.
- A dedication to good quality engineering ability to think creatively and solve structural engineering problems independently and efficiently
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with clients and colleagues to ensure the smooth and trouble-free delivery of projects and services.
- Team player, prepared to play their part and be flexible to suit the team and project requirements
- Full driving licence is required