Senior Engineer required for a fantastic contract based in Bradford
Local Authority Work
- Lead on the development of feasibility proposals for future highway asset related schemes taking proposals through from concept through to detailed design Competency
- Act as a technical specialist providing advice and direction on technical requirements to ensure development of compliant and effective designs, advising elected members and other stakeholders on potential solutions to engineering problems whilst at all times acting as ambassador for the service.
- Be responsible for the production of contract specifications and bills of quantity necessary to effectively procure civil engineering works and provide robust estimates of construction costs and anticipated delivery programmes.
- Lead on procurement of specialist technical services and contractors for the construction of works including liaising with the council's procurement unit to ensure compliance with Contract Standing Orders. Organise the pre-construction contract meetings for projects.
- Prepare technical specialist programmes identifying key dates and milestones for your area of specialism and working with the service's Project Planner assist in the production of combined programmes used for reporting and monitoring progress by the respective boards.
- Manage the budget and programme for your projects taking effective action, in conjunction with the Project Manager (where one is allocated to your project), to mitigate any under/over-spends or delays to programme to ensure works are completed within budget and timescale targets. Where variances cannot be effectively mitigated to seek approval through preparation of a Change Request report.
- Comply with all appropriate health and safety legislation associated with the performance of this role.
- Lead and plan communication / consultation activities associated with the delivery of your projects ensuring that effective communication is established and maintained with all key stakeholders including elected members and senior managers throughout the delivery process.
- Provide effective leadership to a team of junior staff allocated to assist in the delivery of your role by the Principal Engineer ensuring effective support and guidance is provided to enable delivery of project programmes.
- Ensure the timely production of accurate factual technical / committee reports on projects and programmes which you are allocated to enabling effective decision making to take place by stakeholders both internal and external to the council. Effectively use your communications skills to verbally present summary of these reports at committee meetings and technical meetings.
- Be competent in the use of technical computer software necessary for carrying out your duties including those packages necessary for the production of engineering drawings, assessment of engineering criteria and production of reports, presentations and budgets together with effective time recording and budgetary
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a senior capacity in a large engineering organisation with experience in management and delivery of projects in a political environment.
- Experience of project / programme budget setting
- Holds a full valid UK driving license
- HNC/D in Civil Engineering (pre-1999 intake) or related discipline OR BSc (Hons) in Civil Engineer (post 1999 intake) OR NVQ Level 6 in Civil Engineering OR other qualification certified by the Engineering Council UK as academic base for Incorporated Engineer status
- Incorporated Engineer status
- Until 31st March 2020
- £48.50 per hour (Umbrella)
If interested please if call Jack on 01772 428186 or email