A Senior Buried Networks Design Engineer is sought to join the Design Team of one of Europe’s largest energy providers. The team undertakes the design of district heating and cooling networks throughout the UK. The team has the capability to design energy centres, pre-insulated buried piping networks and plant room heat exchanger assemblies.
The Senior Buried Networks Design Engineer position is characterised by the ownership of projects to develop district networks, including multi-disciplinary design coordination with both internal and external stakeholders. The role includes the technical oversight and management responsibility for a small number of Mechanical and Buried Network Design engineers.
- The design of pre-insulated buried piping systems for district heating and cooling applications.
- Technical oversight of the work of a small number of design engineers.
- Management responsibility for a small number of design engineers.
- The use of AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D in the creation of buried network engineering drawings.
- The production of tender scopes, specifications, bills of materials and engineering calculations.
- Technical support and design coordination with internal and external stakeholders, including business development and project managers, contractors, clients and design consultants.
- Attendance at project sites for surveys, reviews, key delivery milestones and commissioning.
- At least 6-10 years of experience in a relevant field or similar role.
- Working towards CEng Chartered Engineer status.
- Experience of site visits and surveys to collect data for creating designs.
- Experience liaising with both internal and external clients, contractors and suppliers.
- Experience of guiding, reviewing and authorising the work of fellow design engineers.
- A working knowledge of the Construction & Design Management Regulations 2015.
- Experience of writing sub-contractor scopes of supply, specifications and major plant tender documentation.
- Experience in designing buried pre-insulated BS EN 253 piping systems to BS EN 13941.
- Experience in producing or working with 3D models for buried district heating network installations in AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D or similar.
- Familiarity with managing work and coordinating to grid reference systems, including ordnance survey maps and utility information.
- Experience with the creation and detailing of bills of material for buried network piping systems, chambers and valves.
- A thorough working knowledge of pre-insulated piping systems, buried piping system components and fabrication methods.
- A thorough working knowledge of relevant British Standards and industry specific publications (such as BS EN 253, BS EN 13941, EN 489, NJUG, PAS 128, Highways and Street Works documentation).
- Experience in coordinating and utilising the outputs of Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), trial hole and Global Positioning System (GPS) surveys.
- Experience in coordinating the surface and volumetric non-destructive testing of buried piping systems.
- Experiencing of producing as-built record drawings and supporting the compilation of Operation & Maintenance manual content for delivered designs.
- A keen interest in combined heat and power (CHP) installations, district energy networks and energy saving technologies.
- A natural aptitude for undertaking engineering calculations, analysis and problem solving.
- An interest in fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, energy transfer and stress analysis.
- A team player with an ability to self-manage and develop projects from an outline brief and specification.
- A natural aptitude for mentoring, motivating and supporting design engineers and graduate design engineers.
- Project document control & management in line with the company Quality Management System.
- Operate within and adhere to the company Health & Safety policy and procedures.
- Communicate the status of projects and tasks through the departmental reporting structure.
- CEng Chartered Engineer status and engaged on a programme of Continual Professional Development.
- Experience of managing subcontracted design projects and resources.
- Experience of site attendance for snagging activities and commissioning support.
- A working knowledge of relevant CIBSE Guides, British Standards, BSRIA, IGEM and other industry authority publications.
- Experience in planning leak detection systems and creating system schematics in 2D AutoCAD.
- Supplementary safety and industry specific training (such as CSCS card, IOSH, CIBSE courses).
- Supplementary courses and qualifications in AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D or other industry leading CAD and modelling packages.
- A knowledge of specialist design areas such as steam systems, PED, ATEX, DSEAR & COMAH.
If you would like to apply to this role please send your CV to email@example.com