Akton Recruitment currently has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Revenues Officer join the team within a local authority team.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- The administration and billing of council tax, non-domestic rates and other sundry debts including overpaid housing benefit due to the council whilst determining and awarding a range of discounts, reliefs and exemptions in accordance with both national and local guidelines, legislation, case law and policy and or,
- Assess and review customers’ personal and financial circumstances to assess entitlement to housing, council tax and other welfare benefits
- Signpost customers to other support organisations and departments, specifically those customers moving to universal credit whilst helping to reduce benefit dependency and debt and drive up self-sufficiency through the provision of advice on money management and employment opportunities.
- Managing a dedicated caseload and ensuring work is prioritised and processed in a timely manner in order to comply with regulatory requirements to prevent hardship, homelessness and unnecessary overpayments.
- Provide advice at the first point of contact be that face to face, home visit, telephone, or in writing to help support and monitor best possible outcomes, recording each contact to provide an audit trail of engagement with the customer on the relevant software system.
- Interrogating and Inputting data into a range of I.T delivery systems to maintain the council’s valuation lists, determine liability as well as processing a range of benefits, discounts and discretionary awards whilst maintaining standards and accuracy of information held. This includes reconciliation and housekeeping, actioning event reports and testing system upgrades and patches in collaboration with the Systems and Performance Team.
- Making enquires and exchanging information with other service areas and orgainsations in order to verify liability to council tax and or non-domestic rates and award appropriate benefits and discounts, ensuring compliance with the associated procedures, polices and legislation governing the exchange of information.
- Previous experience in a revenues and benefit administration environment with an in depth knowledge of benefits assessment and income collection.
- IRRV Practitioner qualification or equivalent NVQ level 4
- Previous experience working in an office based environment or in customer service
- A detailed knowledge of legislation in respect of council tax administration, housing benefit, and national welfare benefits. With the ability to interpret complex legislation and adapt evidential requirements and procedure appropriately.
- Numerate and confident in ability to interrogate, reconcile and balance financial records and able to explain Actions and findings directly with accountants and external auditors
If you would like to apply for this position please send a CV or call 01772 428186 and ask for Jordan for more details.