Public Health Officer- Bedford
To contribute to the strategic development and implementation of specialist public health programmes of work that will lead to improvements in health outcomes and reductions in inequalities in health in key assigned topic areas across Bedford Borough, Central Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes Councils.
The post holder is expected to provide specialist public health skills in order to protect the health of the public with a specific focus around COVID-19.
The post holder will be working alongside a second Health Protection Officer with particular focus on most deprived communities and groups in Bedford Borough, Central Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes Councils to plan and deliver vaccination programmes to these communities, improving access to vaccine and uptake with appropriate outreach model of delivery.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In order to contribute to efforts to improve health and wellbeing, and reduce health inequalities the post holder will:
* Provide specialist advice and leadership in health protection, including the prevention, investigation and control of communicable diseases;
* Measure, monitor and report population health and wellbeing; health needs, risks and inequalities;
* To work with and through policies and strategies to improve health outcomes and reduce health inequalities, particularly in the area of COVID-19.
* Maintain effective working relationships at a senior level with partnership organisations, including Bedfordshire CCG, Milton Keynes CCG, NHS England and Public Health England, to ensure cohesive and effective commissioning and provision of services pertaining to health protection.
* Monitor the local epidemiology of communicable diseases with focus on COVID-19
* Proactively work with the deprived communities and other statutory and voluntary agencies empowering, enabling, encouraging and supporting individuals and groups to address issues which affect their health and social wellbeing, particularly relating to COVID-19.
* The post holder will be expected to work independently and is professionally accountable to the Senior Officer Health Protection.
* The post holder will be expected to undertake health needs assessments, evidence reviews, health impact assessments and health equity audits with minimal supervision.
* To communicate with others to improve health outcomes and reduce health inequalities
* To design and manage programmes and projects to protect the populations health
* Access and appraise evidence gained through systematic methods and through engagement with the wider research community; critique published and unpublished research, synthesise the evidence and draw appropriate conclusions
* Write and contribute to reports which make evidence-based recommendations to improve health & wellbeing, care & quality and achieve best value, and to reduce health inequalities.
* Develop links with public health and healthcare networks, academic centres and Public Health England to ensure that regional and national guidance, evidence and strategic priorities are reflected in local plans where appropriate.
* Prioritise a complex and demanding workload, meeting tight deadlines.
Up to £24 per hour
16 days ago
Public Health Officer- Bedford