Summary of Position
- Responsible for the day to day management of projects involving the development and manufacture of their machines.
- Primary focus on external machine build projects.
- Ensuring compliance to the companies Project Management Policy developed in conjunction with APM core principles.
- Management of the complete project lifecycle
- Development of machine build sub-suppliers and suppliers of key components to drive continuous improvement to meet the company growth strategy.
- Focus on Quality, Cost and Delivery
- Build a high level continuous improvement and employee engagement culture across project teams and project stakeholders.
- Ensure the voice of the customer is understood and acted upon throughout the project teams
- Management of Machine build projects in-line with the company project management policy (aligned with APM structure)
1.a Planning Stages: including Project charter/Scope, Success & Benefits
Management, Stakeholder Management, Value Management, Project
Management Plan, Risk Management, Quality Management
1.b Executing the Project: Scope Management, Scheduling (MSP), Resource
Management, Change Control, Project Reporting, Issue Management.
- Management of other company based projects as designated by the Operations Manager.
- Management of multi-disciplinary project teams throughout the project life cycle.
- In-conjunction with the project cost controller track all project budgets throughout the lifecycle, reporting risks and applying the correct mitigation actions to avoid margin erosion.
- Manage the meeting governance requirements for each designated project in-line with the company project management policy.
- Stakeholder management across the business to ensure project success. Including securing co-operation with department leads for project resource.
- Working in-conjunction with purchasing and the Operations Manager for the preparation of supplier agreements for sub-contractor machine builds.
- Working in-conjunction with purchasing, the Stores Team Leader & Customer Service to ensure part supply, free issue and works orders are on-time to meet project deadlines.
- Develop and implement a culture of cost awareness, budget control and tracking for each project. Working closely with the project cost control function within the Finance department.
- Participating at customer meetings to present project up-dates and machine sign-off activities (FAT, SAT)
- Reporting project(s) status at a weekly management steering committee.
- Prepare project related KPI data and reporting to an agreed format for the Operations Managers monthly report for Senior Management Meetings
- Part of the team including the cost controller and internal projects manager for the preparation and maintenance of the master production schedule covering all machine builds including future pipeline.
- Along with a resource plan, Ensure every project has a Microsoft Project
timing plan for tracking and controlling the critical path.
- Supplier development of machine build sub-contractors for continuous improvement in quality cost and delivery.
- Drive right first time quality across sub-supplier machine build projects and 2nd tier component supply to these projects.
- In conjunction with the Operations Manager and purchasing support to
identify, qualify and develop alternative supplier resource.
- Play an active role as a member of the operations leadership team to deliver continuous improvement activities.
- Physical characteristics required of the job role
· Smart active and professional
· Clear and articulate
· Positive and proactive
- Attainments required e.g. level of education, qualifications, experience
· Minimum of 3years experience in a mechanical engineering role preferably with a project/project management focus.
· Experience in leading a multidiscipline project teams
· Working knowledge of operations processes
· Engineering Experience (min HND qualification)
· Degree qualified in Mechanical Engineering
· APM Qualification in Project Management.
· Experience in large machine manufacture or large engineering based project businesses.
· Global purchasing/supplier development experience.
· Working understanding of continuous improvement lean tools.
· Setting and managing supplier/sub-contractor contracts
- Special Aptitudes
computers, ability to think conceptually and to solve problems, artistic flair.
· Ability to read drawings and determine product/component quality conformance to the drawing.
· Fully computer literate. Microsoft office and project management IT Tools (i.e. MSP), SAGE (or equivalent)
- Behavioural competencies, e.g.:
- ability to get the job done (attention to detail, decisiveness and organisation and planning ability);
- ability to work with others to get job done (communication/influencing skills, team working skills/customer focus);
Essential level of competency
· Good communicator at all levels within the business
· Able to lead a team
· Ability to set and drive target achievement
· Ability to assess risks and agree mitigation actions
· Ability for stakeholder negotiation
· Creative and enthusiastic
· Good people management skills
· Drive, determination
Desirable level of competency
· Flexible in approach to working hours
· Must accept a limited travel requirements to UK and overseas suppliers and customers.
If you would like to apply to this position please send over your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org