Principal Structural Engineer
£50,000 + (negotiable DOE)
Akton are currently recruiting for a Principal Engineer to join our client, multi-discipline property and construction experts based in Oxfordshire.
They are looking for a new team member to join the current team of ten engineers and technicians at the Didcot office. They work on a variety of projects large and small across most sectors including commercial, R&D, energy and residential and always have something interesting in the pipeline. Within these sectors they also work on new build and refurbishment projects. They work collaboratively with our other in-house teams to deliver structural and civil engineering, traffic and transport engineering, building surveying and geomatics. There is a strong and supportive team culture and many exciting projects to work on, which creates an environment for constant technical learning and strong career development.
* Lead project teams, supervising and training engineers and technicians.
* Responsible for the financial, technical and project management control of all aspects of projects.
* At a strategic level you will prepare an outline brief, visit site, review information including planning history and services. You will prepare preliminary layouts, assist in budget and programming and assess all the risks.
* Prepare technical details for Architectural design and prepare technical specifications
* Liaise and attend meetings with Architects, clients, subcontractors and other professionals whilst carrying out duties and at all times represent the business, in a professional and courteous way.
* Assessing the sustainability and environmental impact of projects.
* Making sure the project complies with statutory requirements, especially health and safety.
Key skills & experience
* Minimum qualification - degree in Structural or Civil Engineering
* Chartered, or working towards Chartered status
* Minimum of 8 years' post-qualification experience in relevant structural design
* An ability to prepare structural designs in all conventional materials and experience in refurbishment projects
* An ability to take a global view of structural design on a project, identifying potential problems and solutions and providing advice to clients on design options
* An ability to prepare schematic structural designs based on basic architectural layouts
* An ability to speak clearly, confidently, professionally and convincingly at meetings and on the telephone
* An ability to write clear and concise e-mails, letters and reports
* An ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
* Good commercial awareness
The client offers a market leading re-numeration and benefits package, sample below.
* Competitive salary
* Pension scheme
* Private health care
* Salary Sacrifice Scheme
* Death in Service benefit
* Initial 25 days holiday (3 held for the Christmas period)
* Additional holiday can be accrued in accordance with the number of years services, up to a total of 28 days
* The option to bank, buy or sell holiday each year after one years' service
* Long service awards including additional days off and £500 cash award
* Flexible working
* Paid professional membership
* Cycle to Work Scheme
* Interest free loan for annual travel season ticket
* Yearly flu vaccine
* Eye tests paid and contribution towards glasses, if require for solely for VDU work
* Regular CPD seminars held in house (with lunch provided)
* Regular social events organised and funded by the company throughout the year
* Free refreshments, including tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit
* Free on-site parking
£50000.00 - £60000.00 per annum + benefits package
15 days ago
Principal Structural Engineer