Akton recruitment has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Accountant to join the team at the Wilshire Council.
Job Role: Principal Accountant
To assist and support the Chief Accountant/Head of Finance in the efficient and effective provision of a comprehensive Finance Function. Working effectively within and contributing to an excellent team that meets the customer and corporate needs.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
* Take specific responsibility for the more complex (value and transactional) areas, for example linking expenditure and activity in areas such as Adult Social Care, Waste, Children's Social Care, etc, to ensure finance and performance can be analysed and reported together.
* Through the development of close and supportive working relationships with relevant officers at all levels across the Council, identify the need for management information and accounting systems which will enable secure budget monitoring and control. Supervise the efficient production of monthly revenue/capital/schools/HRA (as appropriate) budget monitoring and outturn projections to the highest level of completeness and accuracy, within deadline, and ensuring that trends and reasons/alternatives where under/overspend are identified. Identify further analysis and follow up to support investigation of significant variances from budget via ad-hoc reports. Ensure profiles are realistic and reflect trends.
* To review and identify areas for development/ improvement of the Council's financial system (SAP), in line with statutory and professional practices, and assist in the implementation of improvements. Feedback to Chief Accountant and Financial Systems Manager areas where data / processes could be improved to ensure efficiencies in the monitoring and setting of budgets as well as accounts closedown.
* Assist with the regular upkeep of the Council's Financial Procedure Regulations and to ensure that they are being effectively applied / complied with. Ensuring the Service control environment over such areas as virements, reconciliations and journals is managed in accordance with Financial Regulations.
* To provide professional advice, via financial comments, as directed on all member & officer decisions (routine and ad-hoc). To contribute to the production of specific & one-off Finance reports to CLT/Members as directed by the Chief Accountant/Head of Finance, for approval by the Section 151 Officer, including interrogation of the financial ledger and production of key reports such as the Business Plan / Medium Term Financial Plan, Annual Council Tax setting report & budget monitoring. This includes evaluating business cases and saving/investment proposals.
3 Month Contract
£22.00 ph Umbrella Rate
Up to £22 per hour
about 1 month ago