Portfolio lead (RD111)- Met Office
The newly formed Met Office (MO) Programmes Directorate is responsible for delivering over 150 programmes and projects for the MO including the £1.2billion Supercomputer. Until now delivery has been dispersed across different teams and Directorates across the MO, but recently the ppm and PMO expertise has been centralised into the Programmes Directorate.
It is critical to our success that we build a fit-for-purpose PMO capability - increasing our expertise and maturity to support fast and effective decision-making through increased visibility and confidence in our programme and project data and delivery.
3. Job Purpose
To lead development and implementation of a robust and adaptable programme and project controls environment with the aim of bringing together reliable and consistent performance data to provide MI to enable fast effective and efficient decision making.
To provide programme & project controls expertise to ensure all programmes and projects have reliable and robust baselines in place with appropriate mechanisms to track and revise in a controlled an auditable manner.
4. Job Responsibilities
1. Champion better programme & project controls through the development and implementation of strategies, processes and procedures in accordance with best practice and the complexity of the specific initiative. Provide strategic-level advice to senior leaders and the MO PMO Lead on programme & project controls. Provide leadership of the controls function within the Programmes Directorate.
2. Provision of expert strategic and tactical advice on programme and project controls to project & programme managers and senior leaders. Develop a programme of regular controls assurance reviews. Act as the point of expert professional knowledge and experience on programme & project controls.
3. Develop and lead implementation of an adaptable and scalable controls framework for a portfolio of complex programmes and projects. Ensure levels of control are proportionate to the risk, complexity and value of the programme or project being delivered.
4. Provide expertise to project and programme managers to lead development of programme and project baselines including scope, cost, schedules, resource, quality and benefits for all in-flight and new programmes and projects.
5. Identify opportunities for continuous improvement of the programme and project controls framework including automating data and using business intelligence solutions as appropriate.
1. Essential Criteria
1. Proven experience in developing and leading programme and project controls services within a portfolio of complex programmes and projects, to meet organisational objectives.
2. Ability to clarify, define, and summarise data sets to report multiple performance metrics to support decision making.
3. Expert user of Microsoft O365 suite including excel, scheduling tools, Power Apps and Power Bi, using these tools to automate reporting processes and present programme and project performance data to a wide variety of audiences.
4. Experience of working with different delivery methodologies including Agile, Managing Successful Programmes, Prince2.
5. Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with diverse groups of stakeholders at all levels in an organisation, translating and presenting technical programme delivery concepts to non-specialist stakeholders.
6. Professional project/programme management qualifications and/or degree level qualification in a relevant discipline.
1. Experience of public and private sector programme and project management delivery environments.
Up to £550 per day
about 1 month ago
Portfolio lead (RD111)- Met Office