LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON
Akton recruitment has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Litigation Housing Lawyer with experience of local authority.
- To provide customer focused, high quality and responsive specialist legal advice in relation to at least one of the area of legal expertise covered by a local authority legal team. These areas are as follows:
- Childrens Social Care
- Adults Social Care
- Administrative Law
- To be responsible for delivering a variety of types of legal work as expected within that specialism.
- To be responsible, at different levels of seniority, for providing creative legal solutions on a seamless basis to support service transformation and change and to meet client needs and at the more senior levels to be able to deliver advice on a broad range of areas.
- To carry an extensive case load of complex and sensitive matters and at the more senior levels to be managing cases that would be considered to be highly complex or organisationally high profile.
- To be responsible for representing the interests of the service within the wider council organisations in any of the five authorities and with external clients.
- To supervise legal and non-legal junior staff and at the higher levels to supervise and provide line management of up to five FTE fee earning staff
- At the higher levels to deputise for the Team Manager or Head of Law
Main Duties :
- To provide timely and effective specialist legal advice to elected members, including committees and to Chief Officers, senior managers and officers across both authorities as part of a team of lawyers, and to any other clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- To be responsible for providing innovative solutions to deal with complex issues arising in connection with the work within the team and the legal issues presented by clients.
- To manage a large caseload of wide ranging work, including but not limited to; drafting legal letters, legal agreements, deeds, notices, orders, consents by-laws as well as negotiating agreements, settlements and such matters, managing competing demands and meeting deadlines and the requirements of the Shared Legal Service.
- Where relevant, to prepare and process all matters relevant to any proceedings before a court, arbitration, mediation or public inquiry and to attend such as the client's advocate or, if appropriate, select and instruct appropriate external legal representation.
- To work proactively to maintain and improvement the relationship with the clients of the Shared Legal Service.
- To supervise, and be responsible for the work of, junior staff as required and to provide management and leadership to the staff working on their cases.
- To undertake duties on behalf of the Monitoring Officer for all five authorities.
- Keep clients informed of new legislation and case law relevant to their operations, including training seminars where appropriate and to ensure that they maintain a sound application of legal requirements.
- Advise upon, draft, and approve committee reports in respect of cases and legal issues
- Attend, advise, and provide legal services to council Committees and Panels as are required.
- Negotiating, on behalf of any of the five authorities, with solicitors and other professionals and liaising with outside bodies including the court service on matters relating to work of any client.
£22.60 per hour
4 Month Contract