Internal Communications Officer- Redbridge
London Borough of Redbridge Council is looking for an enthusiastic, creative internal communications officer to join its small but growing team during an exciting period of change.
The recent changes to Government restrictions around Covid-19, bring with them opportunities and challenges as staff start to return to the office after 18 months working remotely. In addition, that return to the office is the start of new ways of working which will see a hybrid arrangement of remote/agile working alongside time in the office, which varies with each team depending on business need.
In addition, the council has recently embarked on a new programme to revitalise our work on equality, diversity and inclusion to put a new action plan at the front and centre of who we are and how we work.
Underneath this overarching work, is the need to develop our business as usual internal communication and revise our approach to drive meaningful and two-way engagement with our diverse staff.
This is an interim post for three to six months, with the potential to extend.
Responsible for supporting and reporting to the Senior Internal Communications Manager, you will work alongside one other communications and campaigns officer to implement the council's internal communications strategy and manage the day-to-day and weekly operational internal communications. This includes:
* Ensuring all staff have access to a range of internal communications, so they are able to keep up to date with important council news, share information and raise concerns, for example, team meetings, managers' meetings, one to one meetings between staff and managers, briefings and email updates by senior staff and so on.
* Planning, editing and writing content for a variety of internal communications channels, such as the intranet, internal social media, managers briefings, all staff emails, and presentations.
* Managing the compilation and distribution of the regular internal staff newsletters, including writing and editing content, sourcing images, creating graphics and designing the layout.
* Developing and managing internal communications plans, including evaluating outcomes
* Managing production and publication schedules to ensure content is developed, delivered and disseminated by required deadlines
* Working with departments to ensure new programmes, events and initiatives are well communicated and attended.
* Working with HR to promote events, produce content and disseminate key messages for staff to learn more about the council's corporate objectives, or other departments within the council.
* Using staff feedback to recommend and implement new initiatives to improve internal communications.
* Monitoring team mailboxes and responding to queries from staff.
Essential skills and experience:
* Strong innovative and creative skills with the ability to create engaging content for internal communications channels - digital, print and face to face
* Excellent copy writing skills with the ability to create clear and compelling content for a variety of internal communications channels, such as a staff intranet and newsletters
* Excellent editing skills with accuracy and attention for detail
* Ability to draft key messages for target audiences and clearly explain complex issues
* Ability to develop and evaluate communications plans and campaigns for a range of internal audiences
* Good project management skills
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work confidently with staff at all levels
* Ability to take initiative and work independently
* A can-do attitude and willingness to work as part of a team
Desirable skills and experience:
* Strong digital skills including web, photography, video, picture and video editing
* Ability to maintain and moderate two-way internal communications channels, such as blogs, polls and internal social media platforms
* A good understanding of organisational change and transformation
A professional qualification in internal communications from a recognised provider and/or a minimum of three years' experience in internal communications. Experience in the public sector is desirable but not essential.
Up to £250 per day
26 days ago
Internal Communications Officer- Redbridge