Akton Recruitment currently has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Income Officer join the team within a local authority team.
Income Officer (New)
The assignment will be part of a team responsible for the collection of rent and service charge income, (both former and current accounts), for the Housing Department. This will include the monitoring of accounts to prevent arrears and taking appropriate action in the event of arrears.
Allocated tasks may include the following.
- Provide debt counselling and welfare benefit advice and assistance in a clear and sensitive manner, having reference to the levels of vulnerability and disadvantage within the borough.
- Make appropriate arrangements for the recovery of debts in accordance with Council policy, procedures and working practices.
- Where required prepare for, attend and represent the Council in Court with due regard for legal rules and protocols.
- Operate and utilise systems for the administration of direct payments, for the monitoring of Housing Benefits, for the monitoring of the performance of other service providers, for example for Legal Services, Tracing Agents, Housing and Council Tax Benefit.
- Undertake analysis of individual and collective debt trends from computer and manual records and to produce reports recommending courses of action to improve or maximise income collection.
- Undertake former tenant debt recovery procedures, including tracing former tenants using all available sources of information. Will make decisions and recommendations (subject to local scheme of management) on the use of tracing and debt collection agencies, on legal action and on the write-off of irrecoverable and bad debts.
- Undertake general customer service duties on a wide range of housing management enquiries.
- Ensure that service delivery is in line with equal opportunities policies, procedures and best practice.
- Educated to ‘O’ level/GCSE standard or similar qualification.
- Understanding of inner city housing issues.
- Knowledge of debt management procedures, including legal process, rent and service charge setting principles.
- Knowledge of computerised rental management systems.
- Working knowledge of DSS benefit levels and provisions (Desirable)
- Understanding of the issues relating to equal opportunities in service delivery.
- Experience in a customer facing role, ideally in a social housing field.
- Experienced in the application of housing revenue collection procedures and policies.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Able to understand and effectively use rent accounting systems.
- Able to understand and effectively use legal processes.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office at a level to compile; reports (including embedded tables / diagrams), correspondence, presentations, maintaining spreadsheets, meeting arrangements.
- Numeracy skills in order to compile simple statistical and financial information and undertake complex calculations.
If you would like to apply for this position please send a CV or call 01772 428186 and ask for Jordan for more details.