Akton Recruitment currently has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Homeless Officer join the team within a local authority team.
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Degree qualified or equivalent experience
- Education to a high standard of literacy and numeracy
- Comprehensive knowledge of all core legislation such as the Housing Act 1985, Housing Act 1996 as amended by Homelessness Act 2002, the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017, housing needs issues, related legislation and case law.
- A good working knowledge of housing benefit rules and of the supply and demand issues related to public sector and private housing in an inner London council.
- Comprehensive knowledge of prevention tools and options
- Experience of giving advice and information to vulnerable customers and working in a busy front line customer focused environment.
- Strong and effective experience in provision of exceptional customer services.
- Worked with households experiencing a housing crisis and the provision of advice and assistance covering a range of aspects of that crisis.
- Experience of negotiation/advocacy/mediation
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- To interview applicants who approach the Council in housing need, to determine what actions can be taken to resolve the issues that are threatening them with homelessness, to assess their vulnerability and secure their occupation of their current accommodation. If this is not possible, or appropriate, to explore what other options are available to them to prevent them from becoming homeless.
- To investigate and assess all homeless applications under the Housing Act 1996 Part 7, as amended, and the Homelessness Reduction Act , to assess whether a statutory duty is owed to the applicant.
- To conduct home visits to appropriate locations both inside and outside of the borough, as and when is necessary, to assist in the investigation of homelessness applications. This could be achieved through some use of public transport, however it is desirable that the postholder has access to some form of their own transport.
- To provide the Single Homelessness Service from different locations throughout the borough, including working on a rota basis.
- To have knowledge of homelessness legislation, case law and government guidance concerning the Council’s statutory duties and maintain a working knowledge of related housing, property, immigration and family legislation.
- To have knowledge of the different housing options available to service users seeking accommodation and systems of access to housing of all types including; the private rented sector, intermediate housing schemes, and hostels.
- To maintain accurate written and computer records, reports, & other monitoring information as required in connection with the various duties undertaken, and keep other records necessary to provide an adequate management information data base
If you would like to apply for this position please send a CV or call 01772 428186 and ask for Jordan for more details.