Highway Structural Engineer
We currently have an opportunity for a Structural Engineer in our Highway Structures team based in our North Tyneside office. We are seeking an Engineer who is progressing to become Chartered with the ICE or IStructE.
The team currently engages in a diverse range of projects across our diverse client base including public and private sector. Our services to clients vary from inspection / survey and advisory services through to full design and support and advice through construction. Often working as part of an in house multi-disciplinary team, the successful individual will be required to enhance our continued successful delivery of structural engineering services on such projects.
The successful candidate will need to have design experience on replacement, refurbishment or strengthening of all aspects of highway structures. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute towards the management and maintenance of bridges and highway structures and to provide structural design advice to our clients.
- To take responsibility for the preparation of structural schemes or specific elements of major new build or improvement schemes, which may include;
- structural surveys
- feasibility studies;
- preliminary design;
- detailed design;
- preparation of contract documentation
- MEng Civil Eningeering
- Near Chartered membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers or Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Experience and ability in undertaking feasibility, preliminary and detailed design for a variety of highway structures.
- Demonstrable commercial awareness and significant experience performing a similar role within a highway structures team.
- Working knowledge of current design standards, including the Eurocodes and the DMRB.
- Familiarity with other sources of information in respect of current and best practice, BRE, CIRIA, BCSA, Concrete Society, TRADA etc for example.
- Proficient in the use of design/analysis software and fully conversant with project delivery in the Building Information Modelling (BIM) environment, a working knowledge of the following would be advantageous:-
- MIDAS Civil, TEDDS, Autodesk Structural Bridge Design, Revit
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Project.
- Knowledge of contract procurement and preparation of specifications for highway works.
- Good knowledge of the implications of works on the environment and good knowledge of sustainable construction practices.
- Good understanding of health and safety legislation, covering the construction industry, and in particular the CDM designer's duties.
- Ability to prioritise and manage workload to deadlines and help senior and principal engineers to maintain project budgets.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision and ensure efficient delivery.
- Effective communication skills, both orally as well as the ability to write technical reports.
- Ambition to grow and develop self and others around you.
- A full driving licence