Environmental Health Officer
Akton Recruitment has a role vacant for a Environmental Health Officer
* To deliver services provided by the Food Safety Team in their day to day activities and to carry out the Council's statutory duties, policies and procedures in relation to relevant work areas, maintain a proactive and re-active caseload in all aspects of Food Safety and Health and Safety work. To ensure all work is carried out in accordance with the Food Standards Agency's framework agreement.
* Delivery of an effective and appropriate service to all service users, fairly and without discrimination.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Carry out investigations, monitoring, site visits and respond to service requests as a member of the Food Safety Team responsible for enforcement of the Councils statutory duties relating to the enforcement of food hygiene and health and safety with particular emphasis on commercially and technically complex cases.
Secure improvements by advice, instruction, mediation, negotiation and written correspondence or by legal means.
2. Carry out detailed inspections, audits and risk assessments of commercial premises.
Inspect the full range of commercial premises, including licensed and approved premises, in accordance with frequencies prescribed by the FSA codes of practice, to ensure compliance with food hygiene and health and safety legislation.
Secure improvements in standards by advice, instruction, negotiation and written correspondence or by legal means, such as prosecution or closure, in consultation with the Lead Officers
3. Issue the E.C. Identification Mark relating to national and international trade to approved premises, as prescribed by the FSA Code of Practice.
4. Following deliberation and consideration, prepare and serve legal notices on behalf of the Council and gather legal evidence in accordance with PACE. Prepare statements and appear as an expert witness and provide specialist opinion in court proceedings, enquiries, public meetings and tribunals as required. Formally caution and interview suspected offenders and witnesses under the provision of PACE. Act as the delegated signatory for the Head of Regulatory Services on all legal notices requiring works.
5. Investigate and resolve complaints and respond to requests for service from internal and external service users in a manner that meets with the Council's and the Commercial Team's policies, procedures and legal standards. Including site meetings, telephone enquiries, written correspondence, reports and liaison meetings. To provide advice, information, technical and legal guidance on the full range of duties undertaken by the Commercial Team. These duties also include the authorisation to enforce legislation in other Local Authority areas with respect to food complaints.
6. Carry out detailed investigations of individual notifications of communicable diseases and liaise with the CCDC, patients, GP's and laboratory services as necessary. Form part of the multidisciplinary outbreak control team.
7. Devise and participate in health education issues relevant to the team's work, including promotional campaigns, lectures and training programmers. Provide training for Student Environmental Health Officers and others when directed.
8. Represent the team and Environmental Health Service at appropriate meetings as required.
9. Contribute to the development of policies, initiatives and written procedures to achieve continuous improvement in the quality of the service.
10. Maintain membership of a recognised professional association such as the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health by completion of the necessary core hours training and development to satisfy the requirements for continued professional development.
11. Review, assess, scrutinise and evaluate planning applications and written reports received from consultants and other professionals on food hygiene and health and safety and evaluate the impact on public health. Secure improvement by advice, instruction, negotiation and correspondence or by legal means.
12. Undertake informal and formal legal sampling as required. Participate in the creation and delivery of local and national sampling programmes.
Up to £32.10 per hour
22 days ago
Environmental Health Officer