Akton Recruitment are on the lookout for an experienced Electrical/Electronic Power Systems Engineer based in the Bangor area. We are working with a major Aerospace and defence company who are at the cutting edge of propulsion and power generation technology for electric and hybrid aircraft, working with all the world’s major aircraft and helicopter manufacturers.
As a society we face significant environmental challenges relating to transport, part of that challenge is reducing the environmental impact of next generation aircraft by:
- Increasing aircraft fuel efficiency, thus reducing CO2 emissions by 20 to 30 % compared to current ‘state-of-the-art’ aircraft
- Reducing aircraft NOx and noise emissions by 20 to 30 % compared to current ‘state-of-the-art’ aircraft
In support of these objectives the company is designing, manufacturing and testing
- World leading patented electric propulsion technology for numerous Urban Air Mobility and electric fixed wing flight demonstration programs.
- High power, multi MW, electric machines for future single aisle commercial aircraft.
- High power generators for hybrid and more electric aircraft.
We are looking for driven, capable and highly motivated Electrical and Electronic Engineers to join the business. Working as part of an integrated team incorporating subject matter experts from both the clients Group and their customers research departments you will have the opportunity to learn from the world’s best engineers across a broad range of disciplines.
As an electrical and electronics engineer you will have responsibility for design, justification and testing the electrical and electronic aspects of aeronautical propulsion and generation systems. The scope of this role will cover the bi-directional conversion of DC electrical power to mechanical power. You will be encouraged to explore, conduct trade studies and flight test the most efficient, power dense and innovative electrical and electronic methods to convert the power against platform performance and safety requirements to Development Assurance Level A. Strong integration will be required within the engineering disciplines and functional blocks at both system and aircraft level.
Typical activities will include designing electrical power and control systems. These are likely to be 2 and 3 level inverters incorporating wide band gap semi-conductors, gate drivers, motor and generator controllers, motor control systems, monitoring and protection controllers. These systems will integrate with electric machines, avionics, batteries, thermal engines and aircraft electrical networks.
The core skills we are looking for are typical of a good electrical/electronic engineering graduate or postgraduate including:
- Embedded systems
- Analogue design
- Digital design
- Electronic testing
- Design for Safety and Reliability
- Knowledge of power electronics design
- Design of gate drivers for MOSFET, IGBT, etc.
- Program management including business and commercial
- System engineering
- Safety and reliability to EASA/FAA regulations ARP 4761
- Requirements management including derivation, allocation, validation, verification and traceability
- Complex and simple equipment processes ARP 4754A
- Quality assurance
- Configuration management
- Project and risk management
- Environmental qualification
- Integrated logistics support
- Export control
If you would like to be considered for this position then please send your CV to Tom Ellis from Akton Recruitment – 0161 233 0034