My client's Main Contract Division is looking to recruit an enthusiastic and dynamic Construction Health and Safety Manager with sound knowledge of building and construction methods and Health & Safety legislation.
Based in London and reporting to the Company Director, the successful Construction Health and Safety Manager will be responsible for the advice, auditing and general management of all Health and Safety matters within projects and within a supporting role. The post holder must have a proactive, hard-working and enthusiastic attitude and be able to interact with all members of site teams and clients to ensure effective relationships are established and successful delivery of the projects. This is a significant role within the Company as they strive to continue keeping their workforce free from injury and ill health, help the Company meet their agreed targets and objectives and ensure ongoing compliance with current H&S legislation.
The Construction Health and Safety Manager shall be the Divisional lead in the discipline and;
- Promote and ensure continued site wide commitment to achieving consistently high standards in Health and Safety on the project
- Advise site management & site staff on Health and Safety matters.
- Maintain the IMS to relevant ISO standards
- Conduct site Health & Safety compliance inspections and audits.
- Undertake appropriate site visits as required.
- Assist in the production, monitoring and review of method statements, risk assessments and work package plans
- Investigate accidents and incidents to identify root cause
- Be instrumental in encouraging near miss and safety observation reporting
- Review company and Sub-Contractors' compliance paperwork.
- Assist with and/or deliver relevant training programmes inclusion of Inductions programmes, tool-box talks and briefings.
- Assist in the preparation of Health & Safety packs.
- Assist in the preparation of Construction Phase plans.
- Regularly review and update the Project Construction Stage Health and Safety Plan.
- Regularly review and update the Project Fire Plan and Traffic Management Plan.
- Promote behavioural safety initiatives with operatives and staff
- Attend Client Health and Safety meetings/forums as required.
- Undertake weekly update to line management.
- Always willing to be involved in other activities to achieve company objectives.
- Works collaboratively and can motivate others to gain resolution of issues.
- Demonstrates honestly, loyalty and commitment.
Effective Communication skills:
- Able to adapt communication to audience and create detailed written documents and reports. Able to maintain and manage communication links with a variety of stakeholders.
- Presents a professional image.
- Is able to work alone to get results in an effective way.
- Understands and seeks to minimise waste in resources and processes.
- Adopts and motivates others to adopt new ways of working.
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Identifies and builds relationships to help in achieving strategic business objectives.
- Looks objectively at every side of an idea or situation to ensure that all outcomes are thoroughly assessed before deciding on an appropriate course of action.
- Can use analytical skills to make decisions, with a strict attention to detail.
Planning and Prioritising:
- Plans and prioritises around departmental/team objectives.
- Able to spot opportunities and potential problems in the medium and long term and develop solutions.
- Technical Competencies - Essential
- Formal H&S qualification e.g. Minimum NEBOSH Construction; preferred NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent
- Working towards, or possessing, a Grad IOSH or equivalent professional qualification.
- Hold a recognised Env Qualification or willing to work towards Env Qualification.
- Holder of appropriate CSCS card.
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant Health & Safety legislation.
- Awareness of the relevant management standards (ISO 45001).
- Minimum of three years' experience in Principal Contractor role for Construction in the UK.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of construction processes.
- Experience gained from working directly on or with site teams in a construction environment.
- Awareness of behavioural safety approaches.
- Demonstrate strong communication, numeracy and literacy skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft packages such as Outlook, Word and Excel.