The capital works team is responsible for a variety of capital and asset management programmes, varying from complex, long-term, multi-million pound construction investment programmes, to a series of small projects of less than £1m each.
Projects will relate to Council homes, schools, corporate buildings and commercial premises. The programme teams will deliver building fabric, fire safety and associated M&E works
- Lead and manage a team of project management staff and professional services consultants in the delivery of a wide range of capital projects. This is a “hands-on” delivery role and the post holder will be required to deal at a senior level with stakeholders, consultancy organisations and major construction companies, bringing effective programme management and co-ordination of capital works and management of their inter-dependencies including oversight of any risks and issues arising.
- With responsibility for delivering range of fabric, fire safety and associated M&E works, in the value of circa. £30m - £40m per annum, this role will also lead on stakeholder consultation and resident engagement during the delivery phase, so the need for excellent communication will be a main driver for this high profile role
- Making sure of effective quality assurance and integrity across the whole works programme. Concentrating inwardly on the internal consistency of the programme and outwardly on its coherence with infrastructure planning, interfaces with other programmes and corporate, technical and specialist standards.
- Proactive allocation of common resources and skills within the programme's individual projects will be essential as will managing all staffing activities within respective portfolio i.e. day to day management, recruitment and agency staffing, budget monitoring etc.
- Developing and enhancing all associated management processes, procedures and systems – in conjunction with colleagues across Property Management is expected as is ensuring that the Council’s statutory duties around project compliance is discharged appropriately and that there is a clear understanding of the legislative context relating to the Council’s statutory obligations on health and safety.
- To provide leadership on health and safety policy, ensuring relevant legislative compliance is adhered to, within the service area and lead on the seamless handover to clients and the internal asset team.
- Thorough knowledge of the construction market and the processes to co-ordinate resources and deliver completed projects
- Strong knowledge of construction project and programme management methodologies
- A sound knowledge of the principles of construction programme delivery including Planning considerations, Building Control processes, logistical arrangements, procurement and contract administration
- A minimum of five years relevant experience in the public or private sector to include:
- Successful track record in delivering complex capital works projects
- Experience of programme planning, monitoring and implementation
- Direct management of staff and project consultants in the delivery of projects
- Financial management including budget preparation, resource planning and monitoring
- Stakeholder and partnership management within the public sector or similar environment
- Numerate, with strong IT skills
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills
- Membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, the Chartered Institute of Builders, Association of Project Managers, NEBOSH construction certificate
- Inside IR35
- 3 Months
- £499 per day