- Examine plans and particulars deposited with the Council for compliance with the Building Regulation standards.
- To be familiar with the minimum standards set down within the Building Regulation sufficient to ensure that building work will comply with the minimum standards.
- To prepare a schedule of contravention of the Building Regulations shown on the submitted plans and list any additional information that is required to determine compliance with the minimum standards set down in Building Regulations.
- To recommend the decision that should be made for those Building Regulation applications by the required performance standard dates.
- To liaise with engineers, architects, developers, planners, approved inspectors and the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority and others on building regulation matters.
- To undertake site inspections to establish that building work in progress is being carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations and maintain accurate records of those sites visits sufficient to show the extent of the work inspected.
- To assist in the preparation of proofs of evidence and attend Court to give evidence in relation to the prosecution of constructors where appropriate.
- To deal with complaints relating to building work being undertaken prior to the formal building regulation submission being received by the Council to identify the extent of the work to which the regulations apply. To identify the owner and builder of the works and take any action appropriate in accordance with the policy statement set down for Building Control.
- To advise London Borough of Merton staff, local residents, local builders and other interested parties of the minimum standards set down by building regulations.
- To liaise with Principal Building Control Surveyors before deciding whether the performance standard of the regulations is achieved using a lower standard than the prescribed standard of the approved documents supporting the building regulations.
- To participate in regional liaison groups as required.
- To participate in health and safety education activities.
- To prepare statutory notices in relation to contraventions of the building regulations.
- To carry out all duties in accordance with the Council’s Corporate Policies covering Equal Opportunities and Customer Care.
- To ensure that Corporate and Departmental Health and Safety Policies are implemented at all times and to raise any concerns regarding their operation or any other health and safety matters with the appropriate line manager.
- To use office technology as required.
- To carry out all duties in accordance with the specified quality procedures.
- Such other duties within the scope of the grade indicated may be required from time to time by the Head of Planning and Public Protection.
- To bring to the attention of the Principal Building Control Surveyor reports on dangerous structures including recommendations for action.
- To deal with retrospective building regularisation submissions making recommendation about the degree of compliance with the standards set down within Building Regulations.
- Deal with all building regulation issues for less straightforward projects
- Ability to work methodically and accurately to deadlines.
- Ability to prioritise own and others work and meet agreed deadlines.
- Understanding of customer care and ability to liaise effectively with the public and outside agencies.
- Ability to liaise effectively with other officers and senior management.
- Ability to understand and comply with the Council’s operation, procedures and standing orders on technical and administrative matters including driving and using your car to undertake inspections. .
- Ability to manage, train and develop staff
- Experienced Building Control Surveyor
- Locum Contract
- 5 Months
If interested please call Jack on 01772 428186 or email firstname.lastname@example.org